Friday, September 9, 2016

How I Became a (Slightly) More Organized Person

There's one thing I'd like to say before we get started. I've always been a messy person. Everywhere I go seems to wind up looking like an earthquake struck, or at least that's been the case for a very long time. In the past week or so, however, it seems a miracle has occurred: I've suddenly become organized.

How did this happen? Frankly, I have no idea. I imagine a "responsible adult" switch got flipped somewhere, but that explanation does little to satisfy my loyal readers, so I'll tell you one other theory: I started making my bed.

I realize that probably sounds dumb, but there are plenty of articles that talk about how making your bed not only makes your room look better, but provides a sense of accomplishment, thus setting you up for a day's worth of successes. Plus, when it's time to go to bed at night, you arrive to a tidy, comfortable setting instead of the disaster you left in the morning. Multiple sources claim that building a bed-making habit works wonders, so I decided to give it a shot. And yes, I just became one of those I-didn't-believe-it-until-I-tried-it-and-you-should-too people. Yep, I'm cringing too. Try not to think about it too much.

After that, I seem to have followed a whole chain of organizational habit-building, including the following:
  • Maintaining a clean desk. My workspace looks better than it ever has, and for once I have enough room to actually do work while sitting there.
  • Using a planner. I've never been able to keep that up for more than three days before, but now I find myself pulling it out all the time.
  • Using a calendar. It's a big version of the planner. I've never used one of these properly before, either.
  • Cleaning for no reason. Yep, I turned into one of those people. I kind of hate it. But my room looks nice.
Now, I have no business making claims about my great strides without providing photographic proof, right? Right. First off, I'll show you two of my roommates' room. It looks a lot like they way mine did a few weeks ago.

 In contrast, here's mine now. Not bad, right?

Plus, who doesn't love this bedspread? (apart from vegans, I suppose--I don't think they make "keep calm and eat salad" fabrics.)

Oh, and this is my desk. Also looking pretty good lately.

So that's it. I'm going to try not to gloat about how my room is the cleanest in my apartment, or how I'm mastering techniques usually reserved for Pinterest people. Okay, I'm gonna gloat a little. Here we go.

There. I'm done now.

I'm not going to try to push these organizational behaviors on anyone, mostly because I tend to react violently when people tell me what to do with my space. Instead I'll leave you to ponder your options, and maybe submit a humble suggestion that you try making your bed. See if you like it.

Hic Manebimus Optime!

5 comments:

  1. I too, have heard that successful people make their beds. Way to go! Looks like you are paving the way for not just scholastic success, but also for life success. I am cheering for you to keep your organized state all semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maintaining it is the hard part, so we'll see how it looks in a month or two.

      Delete
  2. Kudos and welcome to the "I'm organized!" club. It's a nice place to live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is nice, although now other roommates are doing homework in my room because there's space, so it's a trade-off.

      Delete
  3. "Ones room is a reflecton of your mind" cconroy So unscramble it gets one to think clearer.

    ReplyDelete