Wednesday, December 30, 2020

2020 Hindsight, Part 3: The Digital Semester

     How wrong I was back in high school, when I thought I'd be done with online classes forever. At the time, online school was a necessary evil, the only way to make room in my schedule for the fun and cool classes I wanted to take. Knocking out a few boring courses over the summer gave me space for band, woodshop, drawing and digital media, which were a big part of how I stayed sane through all my AP classes. In 2016 I figured I was finished with internet-based education, but of course 2020 had to go and prove me wrong. This time, I wouldn't be doing one or two classes online--more like all of them.

     In the defense of online school, it's not without its perks. You don't have to get up and trek to the opposite side of campus; in fact, you technically don't have to get up at all. With your camera off and microphone muted, you could just as easily watch your lectures from the sweet embrace of your bed, and no one would be the wiser. This goes for eating, too. Remember those awkwardly scheduled classes making it difficult to squeeze in lunchtime in years past? Not a problem. Go ahead and eat those noodles in the middle of Thermodynamics. No one will know.

    Despite the apparent benefits, though, online school is definitely worse for me. I've found I don't retain information nearly as well when I'm not in the classroom, and it's much easier to become distracted. On top of that, all the extra screen time leads to headaches on long school days. The worst thing about online class, ironically enough, is also the best thing: you don't have to leave home. It seems great at first, but without any obligation to march across campus, it's dangerously easy to forget to go outside entirely. I sometimes went three whole days or longer without ever leaving my tiny apartment, and that's not good for anyone. 

    The level of isolation incurred by staying indoors so much has detrimental effects not only on the body, but also the mind and soul. Disrupted sleep patterns, lack of energy and a general unwell feeling became common, especially after my direct roommate ditched me and moved out in September (I give him a bad time because I've known him for years) thus leaving me alone in my room. On good stretches I would remember to spend time outside each day simply for the sake of being outside, but closing deadlines and the onslaught of midterms meant this wasn't always the case.

    But enough of the depressing stuff for now; let's mention some of the notable things that happened over the course of the semester:

  • I'm done with math classes. Differential Equations was the last one. Despite everything, I even pulled off significantly better grades than my previous math class, the PTSD-inducing Multivariable Calculus (seriously, a C to a B is a huge jump). I did well in Thermodynamics too, which is another notoriously hard one.
  • One of my roommates got Covid (but the rest of us didn't). Quarantine is important and all, but it's a real drag. We watched Star Wars. All of it.
  • We pulled off a roommate road trip! Every dorm I've been in has discussed this, but we've never managed to actually do it before. Spending a couple of days around Zion National Park was a great change of pace.
  • I filmed a horror movie trailer for an apartment Halloween competition. It was a fun way to kill a few hours, and hey, we each got $10 gift cards out of it. You can watch it here:


  • I built a desktop PC. A lot of research went into learning how to do it, but the physical assembly wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. Making stuff is always satisfying, especially if it's something I know I'll get a lot of use out of.
    With that, I conclude my three-part recap of my 2020 experience! This year has been fraught with battles fought and lessons learned, but I like tho think we'll come out all the better for it. With the sequel on the horizon (AKA 2021), all I can say is who's up for round two?

Ad Meliora!

1 comment:

  1. Always love your posts, Will. You're such an awesome writer. :)

    ReplyDelete